Japan Visa: Types and Length of Stay

We are asked very often what types of Visa are required to travel to Japan so we have decided to help you learn something more about it.


Here below, you can find the main 5 types of Visa, their characteristics and nationalities that can ask for them.

1. Tourist Visa

If you are just visiting Japan you can ask for a tourist visa and stay up to 90 days. To enter the country you’ll need a valid passport and a return ticket from Japan.

The procedure to obtain this visa will include taking both fingerprints and a picture. Also, you will have to answer to few question from an immigration officer.

2. Working holiday visa

Create to encourage cultural exchange is the perfect visa for those who want to live deeply the Japanese culture. You need to be between 18 to 30 to apply for it and once received you can live one year in Japan and have a part-time job.

To be eligible for this visa you must be from: Australia, U.K., Canada, France, Ireland, Germany e New Zealand. To apply for this visa you need to prove in advance you will be able to afford your staying for the length of your time there, along with a resume and necessary documents. This type of visa allows you to enter the country only once. It may be prohibited to come back to Japan if you travel outside the country.

3. Student Visa

This type of visa is necessary if you want to live in Japan and attend a course for more than 90 days. Also, if you want to do a part-time job with this visa you need to ask for a resident card (zairyuu cado) and then you will be able to work for a max of 28 hours per week.

4. Cultural Activities Visa

Japan offers foreigners the possibility to enter the country if involved in cultural activities or academic studies not covered by the student visa. For example, if you want to study martial arts, you can be eligible for this visa. With a cultural activities visa you can stay in Japan more than 90 days, up to 1 year. To get the visa you will need the proper documentation proving your involvement in cultural activities.

5. Volunteer Visa

Only foreigners from the United Kingdom are eligible for this visa, thanks to a bilateral agreement between the two countries. It is possible to stay up to 1 year and to work for a registered charitable organization even without a compensation. To ask for this visa you can submit your application at the Japanese consulate in Edinburgh or London. Unfortunately the volunteer cannot bring children or spouses.

Find out how to study in Japan, contact us and request a free consultation

Click Here